Friday afternoon IDW and SEGA published a press release entitled, Sonic the Hedgehog Dashing into Comics this Spring, regarding the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog series. While most of the information shared is old news at this point, it does reiterate some key points for those just getting aboard the fast moving Sonic hype train.
- It will be starting with a #1 issue. This reiterates the fact that this will be an all new, all original comic book and not a continuation of the Archie canon.
- April will see the release of the first four issues on a weekly basis every Wednesday.
- The ongoing series will be monthly starting the following month in May.
- Ian Flynn will be the lead writer.
- Tracy Yardley, Adam Bryce Thomas, Jennifer Hernandez, and Evan Stanley will be doing the interior art of the first four issues respectively.
- Tyson Hesse will be illustrating the connecting main covers.
- Nathalie Fourdraine will be doing alternate covers for all four issues.
- Rafa Knight, Jamal Peppers, Jonathan Gray, and Kieran Gates will be doing various alternate covers.
- Each issue will have Sonic team-up with a different ally: Tails, Amy Rose, Knuckles, and Tangle respectively.
The article goes on to talk about the IDW staff’s interactions with the Sonic fan community, much of which has taken place through the IDW Sonic Comic Squad group on Facebook. Series Editor Joe Hughes had the following to say regarding his experience:
I’ve been working in comics for about 15 years, and my interactions with Sonic fans has been unlike anything I’ve ever experienced in my career — and I mean that in the best possible way. The further we get into this, the more we realize what a responsibility it is to give a fan base this passionate and loyal the kinds of stories that they deserve. We’ve barely gotten started, and it’s already so much fun. The fans have been nothing short of amazing, and we’re genuinely grateful to be welcomed into their tribe.
Likewise, Michael Cisneros, Licensing Specialist at SEGA of America, seemed confident that IDW is honoring their characters and fan’s expectations:
We’re extremely fortunate and humbled to have such an avid fanbase, The entire IDW team is immersing themselves within the Sonic community which instills confidence that they genuinely understand our fans’ expectations. When you look at the incredible array of talent lined up for the first month alone, there’s absolutely no doubt that readers are in for an exhilarating ride.
April cannot come soon enough, but Sonic Source will keep an eye out for the latest news as it comes! While you are here check out the myriad of other info available including our April Previews Rundown covering everything you need to know about April’s release, the first of a series of reviews on the Sonic Forces tie-in comics, Moment of Truth, and various discussion and speculation posts like The Fate of the Freedom Fighters and IDW Sonic picking up the story in the wake of Sonic Forces!